Today sees our 9 year wedding anniversary tick over.
You know you’ve been married close to a decade when :
- Slipping into something ‘a little more comfortable’, is changing into his tracky dax and uggs.
- That giant wedding portrait that you paid an arm and a leg to have framed, and once hung proudly front and centre over the fireplace, is now in the shed. It has possibly been replaced by an artsy, splashy modern piece that has flecks of colour matching your lounge cushions and rug.
- An ‘afternoon delight’ is now more likely to be two free hours to yourself to go shopping on Saturday afternoon; however, if I am to go there…a little bit of marital nooky is now carefully orchestrated with ice blocks and a special movie…for the kids.
- Instead of an anniversary gift, you are paying a babysitter (or begging a relative to mind the kids) to go out for a shmancy (hot and uninterrupted) dinner.
- It is no longer ‘cute’ to order dinner out and swap meals with the husband halfway through. Sorry; but I want to eat what I have ordered, in my own time.
- You had a Shania Twain, 1927, Ben Folds, The Corrs or Queen song at your wedding.
- Grown up take-away curry on a Friday night is now dubbed, ‘date night’.
- You chose tiered cupcakes as a ‘new’ alternative for your wedding cake.
- Conversations are more often about paying the rates and the need to get more dental floss.
- You start watching television series for some ‘together’ time after the kids are in bed: House of Cards, Mad Men, Bloodline and Breaking Bad are a few choice picks to name a few.
- Those choreographed wedding dances that are trending on social media make you giggle; you two managed a dance floor shuffle that picked the choice moves from what you learnt at your Deb Ball.
- You watch the ‘Tour de France’ with him and try your hardest to sling the right type of ‘bikey’ comments…not just remarking dreamily over the incredible scenery.
- Now he just calls you, “Darls”, or more annoying still (though correct), “Boss”.
- When you manage a night out, and the wind picks up and you are FREEZING, you may still get his jacket, but it will come with a lecture about why you should have worn something a little more sensible.
- He’s been around the family so long that your own Mum keeps calling him by the same name as your brother. Awks indeed!
- Flowers picked up from the servo is the height of romance.
- The sight of sweaty lycra bike clothes on the bathroom floor is now such a looooong way from endearing.
- Watching a couple clearly on a nerve wracking first date whilst you giggle with your husband and throw hot chips down your throat is an absolute blessing! (*sigh)
- That imaginary line down the middle of the bed is sooo REAL!
- When he asks if his shirt matches his pants, you tell it like it is; and ‘get a haircut’ whilst you’re at it.
Aaaahhhhh…but this one?
He is my one…my person…
The one who has held my hair back…massaged my swollen toes…cried at the birth of our babies…held my handbag when I had to have that scary mammogram…wiped my tears when, well, I just felt shitty…told me I could do it…cooked me bacon…cuddled me long and hard…bought me a box of my fave buttery chards when he saw it on special…took the kids away for an early morning ‘adventure’ so I could sleep…told me I looked beautiful when I knew my tub guts was on show…gave me the extra cushion on the couch.
Here’s to us, Darls; and here’s to many more fabulous years to come.
Happy Anniversary, my love. xx