Hippity hip hooray to me.
There are a few things I have learnt over the years that I feel is important to share with you.
You know you are getting older when :
- the ‘does my bum look big in this’ ship has already sailed, and you are now asking, ‘can you see the wrinkles on my neck’?
- You cannot believe that you remember changing your 18 year old nephew’s nappy like it was yesterday; oh…and you start throwing the phrase around, ‘I remember it like it was yesterday,’ way too frequently.
- A mail drop about a free superannuation talk won’t go straight to the recycling bin.
- You reply to too many text messages with a simple ‘Cool’, or alternatively, the ‘thumbs up’ emoji.
- You worry that your kids will forget the art of conversation with their friends, and debate the pros and cons of social media regularly.
- You remember (like it was yesterday) what you were doing when Princess Diana died, or when Stuart Diver was pulled alive from the rubble in Thredbo.
- Those hyper-colour T-shirts really were genius.
- You still know every word to, “Ice Ice Baby” (well…at least the start of it, anyway).
- The sight of those beautiful young girls with caked on make-up breaks your heart. You refer to these young women as ‘girls’.
- You cannot believe just how fast the year is flying!
- The band is beginning to sound WAY too loud.
- A SMS reminder for ANY appointment is greatly appreciated.
- Conversations often start with the price of meat at the supermarket.
- Having a chat to the girls about roots is now actually only about when you need to book your next visit to the hairdresser, or what product really does actually cover up the greys.
- ‘Real Estate’ porn is your new hobby.
- When (crazy) people ask you your age, you genuinely have to stop, think and take a moment to get it right.
- Speaking of age, I am actually now around the age that I remember my parents being when I was a kid, and WOW was that OLD!!!! The ’40’s were seriously up there with ancient. Now my own kids ask random questions to me about when I was a kid, “back in the olden days….”
- You put sunscreen on your hands religiously every morning.
- Getting up at 7am is a sleep in.
- You want to scream at those beautiful, anxious teens that the decision they make about their future today, will not lock them in forever.
- You automatically flick the dial for GOLD FM.
- Your High School friends are now the spitting image of their parents.
- I like, no LOVE, a great night in. Sure, I genuinely get excited about a night out with the crew, but I absolutely relish a night on the couch with the husband and sleeping kids. Think good wine, takeaway, Netflix and a neck massage.
- That dress you wore for your high school formal was absolutely hysterical; those sleeves?!
- On too many occasions, I genuinely cannot remember what I have walked into the room to get and stand there staring off to space for a while, waiting for it to pop back in my head.
- It’s not all just about plucking and shaping your eyebrows. It now includes that bloody hair on your chin that keeps growing back…and now it’s grey!
- You have your one or two ‘go to’ going out outfits and you know your friends won’t remember, or genuinely won’t care, if you keep wearing them.
- Spending time with old friends is completely grounding, nourishing and non negotiable.
- It becomes glaringly apparent that love really does make the world go round.
So, I will leave you all with that.
I believe it is time that I find some cake, put the jobs aside and enjoy the company of friends and family.
Oh…and one last thing…
Always, ALWAYS, EAT THE DAMN CAKE!!!